If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (508) 778-7378

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Does the musty odor in my home mean I have mold?

10/29/2019 (Permalink)

An early indication of mold can be an odor described as ‘musty’ and although it may not be as strong as a moldy odor, it is a good idea to try to find the source quickly to avoid the health effects that mold can cause. Mold spores are everywhere in our environment and although it occurs naturally and is part of nature’s cleanup of decomposing organic matter, we certainly don’t want to find elevated levels of mold in our homes.

A few places to check for potential mold-friendly environments:

  • Water leaks – plumbing, roof, walls, basement
  • Air conditioning units or drain lines
  • Materials that have been wet (newspapers, books, carpets, etc.)

Mold thrives in a moist, humid environment so keeping your home dry by making sure leaks are repaired quickly and the area is thoroughly dried, reducing humidity by running a dehumidifier in areas that tend to be damp – like our Barnstable County basements – are good ways to prevent mold growth.

If you do find mold in your home, SERVPRO® of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is here to help! Call us at 508-778-7378.

Other News

View Recent Posts