Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Management on Cape Cod
Mold thrives in damp environments, something which Cape Cod has a clear abundance of. Whether you're near the coast in Truro, a beach in Barnstable, or even mainland in Harwich, the potential for mold growth on the cape is astonishing. With higher than usual amounts of moisture potential, your home or business could be in danger of needing mold removal. We here at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod want you to know the warning signs of excessive mold and how we can help with your mold remediation needs.
You may have an ongoing moisture problem if you notice the following:
- Musty odors
- Higher than usual humidity
- Evidence of previous out of place moisture
- Visible Mold Spores
If you notice any of these signs in your home or building, you may need the aid of a professional cleanup & restoration crew. SERVPRO can inspect for the signs of excessive mold growth and water damage. Trust your local SERVPRO to deal with the special kind of mold and water damage the cape can inflict. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378 to set up a free estimate
"Can I Use Bleach For My Home Mold Problem?"
A common remedy for removing household mold is using one cup of bleach mixed with a gallon of water and scrubbing the mixture into visible spots of mold. However, this strategy doesn’t actually remove mold, but in reality, makes the issue worse. Here are a few reasons you should seek professional mold remediation instead of resorting to the bleach and water trick:
- Bleach Only Tackles Surface Mold: You can see right on the label for your household jug of bleach that it should be used on non-porous surfaces only. Mold growth on drywall and wood is deeply rooted into the pores of those surfaces, making bleach a useless mold removal tool.
- Bleach Will Cause More Problems Than It Solves: By adding unnecessary bleach to your home environment, all you’re doing is discoloring fixtures and clothing, building up toxic fumes and creating a damper environment. Needless to say, you’d also be wasting bleach that could be used for actual important purposes, such as whitening clothing and sanitizing solid surfaces (stone countertops, toilets, etc).
- Remediation Makes Sure That Mold STAYS Gone: Removing mold stains will only get rid of its appearance for a brief amount of time. The mold spots will come back larger and more toxic than before. By calling a restoration company, you’ll be saving time and money that could’ve been wasted on a more severe mold problem down the line
If your Cape cod home or business is suffering from mold damage, call the mold remediation experts at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod. We’re on alert 24/7 for your emergency and non-emergency restoration needs. Call us at 508-778-7378 to set up your free estimate.
Does The Musty Odor in My Dennis, MA House Mean I have Mold?
An early indication of mold can be an odor described as ‘musty’ and although it may not be as strong as a moldy odor, it is a good idea to try to find the source quickly to avoid the health effects that mold can cause. Mold spores are everywhere in our environment and although it occurs naturally and is part of nature’s cleanup of decomposing organic matter, we certainly don’t want to find elevated levels of mold in our homes.
A few places to check for potential mold-friendly environments:
- Water leaks – plumbing, roof, walls, basement
- Air conditioning units or drain lines
- Materials that have been wet (newspapers, books, carpets, etc.)
Mold thrives in a moist, humid environment so keeping your home dry by making sure leaks are repaired quickly and the area is thoroughly dried, reducing humidity by running a dehumidifier in areas that tend to be damp – like our Barnstable County basements – are good ways to prevent mold growth.
If you do find mold in your home, SERVPRO® of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is here to help! Call us at 508-778-7378.
Defend Against Mold Growth
If your home has a water/moisture problem, take care of it before mold has time to grow
Coming home to your summer property or going back to your place of business soon? You might be shocked to find mold growth may have taken place while you were gone! If this is the case, don't hesitate to call your local mold remediation experts to your property. If you don't see mold growth, you still might have be at risk for a nasty infestation. If you'd like to keep your property safe, be sure to follow these helpful mold prevention tips:
- Keep humidity levels between 30 and 60 percent
- Make sure you have proper drainage away from building foundations
- Inspect appliances and plumbing for leaks
- Keep drains and gutters debris-free
- Make sure water can't enter through roofing, windows or other leak-prone areas
- Take care of any leakages/water-related incidents ASAP
- If excessive mold growth or water intrusions occur, call a mold remediation/water mitigation expert
If you're in need of water mitigation or mold remediation, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378. We're on alert 24/7 for all of your emergency restoration needs, from Mashpee to Provincetown.
Does Your Cape Cod Home Have A Mold Problem?
As the humidity rises, be on alert for signs of mold growth in your home. Managing your mold before the hot summer months will save you time and money all while improving the overall health of both you and your home. Any intrusion of water into your home, be it large or small, has the potential to create a large mold problem. Using the old trick of adding one cup of bleach to a gallon of water and using it to scrub the mold only takes care of mold on the surface level. More often than not, if you discover your home has a mold problem, you’ll likely need to call mold remediation experts. If your home has a moisture problem, be on the lookout for the following:
- Visible mold presence
- Musty odors
- Evidence of past moisture problems
- Unusual humidity
If you notice any of these signs for potential mold in your home, you may need professional assistance. Trust the mold remediation experts at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod to expertly remove your mold problem fast and completely. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378. From Mashpee to Provincetown, we’re on alert 24/7 to clean and restore.