The ERP: One of the Smartest Things a Business Owner Could Do
Planning for future can be fun, whether it’s planning a vacation, looking forward to an exciting event or just anticipating an enjoyable part of a routine. However, planning for the future can be less than fun, especially when it involves preparing for possible home or business disasters. Here at SERVPRO, we’re professionals at planning for and tackling disasters head on so property owners never have to. Best of all, with our ERP program, we do disaster planning free of charge.
The ERP, or Emergency Ready Program, is a contingency plan focused on incident response, disaster recovery and business continuity. This no cost assessment will take very little time to complete, but will go a very long way if the worst happens to a commercial property. Using SERVPRO’s ERP app or a physical ERP booklet, any employee will have access to who to call, where to go and what to do in the case of a fire or water-related crisis or emergency. Also, if a business with an ERP decides to use SERVPRO for professional mitigation and remediation, SERVPRO will have a plan in place, assuring the job will get done quick and right. Feel free to contact SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378 to set up a free Emergency Ready Program!
Soot Damage Timeline
Soot is incompletely combusted materials leftover from a fire. Removing soot from walls and furniture is a very particular process that may destroy your belongings if done wrong or ignored. If left alone, soot will continuously cause irreversible damage to your home and household items. Here’s a timeline of how soot effects your home and your belongings.
- In minutes: Plastics yellow in color
- In Hours: Surfaces such as countertops, fiberglass, appliances and furniture begin to yellow. Metals will begin to tarnish
- In Days: Permanent staining on clothing, upholstery, and painted walls. Appliances and vinyl flooring will break and require replacement. Metals will rust and corrode
- In a week: Carpets are permanently destroyed. Glass and china will pit
However, if treated right, soot damage shouldn’t be an issue. At SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod, we have to tools of the trade and cleaning methods to put you back in home faster than the competition. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378 to schedule a free estimate or to receive emergency service. From Mashpee to Provincetown, we're faster to any size disaster.
Carpet Water Damage: What you See Vs. The Reality
We have the equipment and expertise to properly remove deep water damage from your home or business's carpeting.
When large amounts of water seep into your carpet, the damage-causing potential is higher than it seems to be to the naked eye. You might’ve been able to dry your carpet after its been affected, but what about the water that’s seeped into the drywall, the subfloor, your baseboard and your floor padding? Untreated carpet water damage can lead to serious mold and mildew buildup. We here at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod have seen plenty of instances of carpet water damage causing floorboard warping, mold, musty odors and structural damage. Here are some tips to keep your carpets safe from further damage after a spill or leak.
What to Do with a Water Damaged Carpet:
- Wipe dry all damp furniture
- Remove and air-dry wet cushions and upholstery
- Place aluminum foil between wood furniture and the flooring
- Turn the A/C on
- Remove any rugs from carpeting
- Move all art to a safe, dry area
- Remove loose items from floor
What NOT to Do:
- Do not use your household vacuum to suck up the water
- Don’t use electric appliances in the same room
- Don’t leave books, art or other colored items on the floor
If Your Carpet is Moldy:
- Stay away from the area
- Turn off HVAC and halt air movement
- Do not touch the mold
- Do not spray with bleach
A common mistake people make when attempting to restore a moldy carpet is grabbing a jug of bleach, scrubbing the mold and drying it with a fan. All three of these actions will only make the mold issue worse. First of all, bleach is only good for use on non-porous surfaces. On a porous surface, like a carpet, the bleach will only add more moisture for the mold to feed on. Also, drying the mold with a fan will only spread mold spores throughout the room, potentially causing health effects. If you see mold growing in your carpet, the best course of action is to leave it alone and seek professional restoration. If your Cape Cod home or business is in need of water restoration, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is on alert 24/7 for your needs. Give us a call at 508-778-7378 to set up a free estimate or to get emergency assistance within 24 hours.
Smoke Damage in Barnstable: Not As Visible As You'd think
More often than not, on smoke removal jobs, the damage done to the residence or commercial building we're working on is worse than it seems to the untrained eye. Cleaning up after a smoky incident isn't just a matter of removing all visible black spots from walls and furniture. Soot from fires or puffbacks often travel to every room in the affected house or building, even if it isn't immediately apparent.
If your home or business is in need of smoke removal, attempting to restore your property yourself can do more harm than good. Trust the experts at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod to do the job right. Call us 24/7 at 508-778-7378 for a free smoke removal estimate. From Mashpee to Provincetown, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is here to help with all of your water mitigation, fire restoration, storm damage, disinfection, and mold remediation needs
The Categories of a Sewage Cleanup in Barnstable, MA
Just like any other mess, some sewage related incidents are larger than others. However, it’s not just the size of a sewage incident that determines how dire the situation is. Sewage incidents are broken up into three categories of severity. As a home or business owner, it’s important to be aware of these categories so swift and careful action can be taken to restore the property to its pre loss condition.
Category 1: “Clean Water”. When a clean water supply line (such as a faucet, etc.) breaks or leaks, it is considered a category 1 water emergency. Depending on variables such as temperature and contact with contaminants, a category 1 situation can escalate to a category 2 or 3.
Category 2: “Gray Water”. When flood water crosses the line into being contaminated and hazardous for human ingestion, it is considered category 2. This could include water from a washer machine, dishwater, etc. However, category 2 isn’t severe enough to include water infested with feces or harmful chemicals. If a category 2 flood is left untreated for long enough, it can develop into a category 3 situation.
Category 3: “Black Water”. Flood waters considered, “grossly unsanitary” fall into category 3. This includes, but is not limited to, water that has started microbial growth, water with feces or natural flood waters from a river/stream. Any and all contact with black water should be avoided and needs professional mitigation. If ingested, black water can cause health effects.
Fire and Smoke Damage in Barnstable: Don't Go It Alone
A common mindset people have when their home suffers from smoke or fire damage is to immediately and hastily resolve the situation themselves. It’s completely understandable why an affected homeowner would want to do this, but trying to fix the situation without the proper knowledge and expertise could set the damage and make it harder to get rid of. Here are some things to avoid when attempting smoke removal:
- Limit movement within your house to lessen the spread of soot
- Don’t wash any painted surfaces
- Don’t shampoo any carpets or upholstery
- Don’t clean any electronics
- Don’t bring clothing effected by smoke to the dry cleaners: this will likely make your clothes permanently smell like smoke
For any of your smoke removal needs, call a fire restoration expert. More often than not, the scope of damage a fire or puffback incident causes is larger than it is to the untrained eye. If you have any questions about smoke removal or fire restoration, give SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod a call at 508-778-7378. From Mashpee to Provincetown, we’re available 24/7 to help with your emergency fire damage cleanup needs. If your Cape Cod home suffers from excessive soot damage, trust SERVPRO to make it "Like it never even happened."
Hurricane Mitigation on Cape Cod
Be Prepared for Hurricane Season!
The Atlantic hurricane season officially began on June 1. Hurricane hazards come in many forms, including storm surge, heavy rainfall, inland flooding, high winds, tornadoes, and rip currents. The National Weather Service is responsible for protecting life and property through issuance of timely watches and warnings, but it is essential that your family be ready before a storm hits. In addition to battening down the hatches on your home, you should have an emergency supply kit to last each family member and pet for at least three days. A basic kit should include the following supplies:
- Basics: Flashlights, candles, lighters, matches in water-proof container, manual can openers, first-aid kit, towels, and batteries.
- Electronics: In addition to keeping your cell phone charged before losing power, make sure you have a portable charger to charge your devices during a power outage. Having a prepaid phone and spare battery in the kit can come in handy if something happens to your phone during an evacuation.
- Radio: An emergency radio that charges by hand-crank, in case cell service is out, will keep you informed of weather alerts.
- Food: You should store at least 3 days of non-perishable food including canned and dehydrated food.
- Medical Supplies: Pack a week’s supply of your prescription drugs in a waterproof container or bag. CVS and Walgreens recommend visiting your local pharmacy to stock up ahead of time. If your medications need to be kept cold, have a small cooler with ice on hand. Don’t forget batteries for medical devices.
- Water: Have multiple cases of water accessible. A rule of thumb is 1 gallon per person (or pet) per day.
- Clothing: Keep a change of clothing on hand (vacuum-packed saves space!) including shoes.
Experiencing fire, smoke, water, or mold damage? Call SERVPRO of Mid Outer Cape Cod any time at 508-778-7378.
Why SERVPRO: More Praise from Our Valued Customers!
We at SERVPRO strive to offer quality work and unmatched customer satisfaction with every job we do. We like to think our work speaks for itself, but when it comes to our performance, we think our customers say it best. For example, George from West Yarmouth said, “We had a great team. Phil did a phenomenal job addressing all our needs. He worked tirelessly to clean out our basement and ensure that our things were taken care of. He and his team made our loss experience bearable. Thank you so much” Also, Joe and Judy from Dennis said, “The workers have finished and all of the crew did an awesome job. Mike was so informative and helpful. To our questions and concerns. Everyone so respectful and it was nice to know that we could leave our home and that the trust we had in SERVPRO was justified. Thank you”
SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is proud serve our local community and will always make sure no customer is left dissatisfied. If your home or commercial property is suffering from water, fire or mold damage, give us a call at 508-778-7378. We’re available 24/7 for emergencies and will work to make your situation, “Like it never even happened.”
24/7 Response Across The Cape: The SERVPRO Promise
So you come home after a long day of work just to find your basement is flooded. The last thing you probably want to do is wait. Luckily for you, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is on alert 24/7 for your emergency restoration needs. We’ll get a crew to your home in less than 24 hours. Why shouldn’t you wait? Here’s a timeline of what water damage does as it sets into your home:
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
For your emergency water restoration needs, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378. From Mashpee to Provincetown, we’re ready for your water, mold, fire, or storm emergency.
Give Your Clients the Right First Impression of Your Provincetown Business
With a properly maintained business, you can create lasting impressions that will bring new customers through word of mouth. Always keep your business looking clean, organized, and inviting. Here are some things to consider when maintaining your commercial property:
- The Exterior of your Building: Speaking of first impressions, the maintenance of your building’s exterior will speak volumes to new customers. Consider their first impression when they drive in to your parking area: is the building in need of repair? is the landscaping neat and appealing or a little neglected?
- The Interior of your Building: Once you’ve attracted the customer to your business, having a clean interior will help keep them in the doors. Look for things that might need repairs or touch ups and fix them. Always keep the interior of your business clean. Regularly dust, vacuum, and maintain any appliances. Keep bathrooms looking spotless and hygienic.
- The Details: Don’t forget about the little things, like making sure the light fixtures are dusted or the bathroom soap is refilled. Customer’s will notice and appreciate the attention to detail.
- Utilities: Regularly check and maintain your utilities. This includes air conditioning units, water heaters, and other utilities your business depends on. There is nothing worse than having a utility break down during business hours. Maintain a comfortable atmosphere for both customers and employees.
Not only does maintaining your property attract customers, but it also preserves its value. If you feel like you may have fallen behind on the maintenance of your business, or you just want a deep cleaning to bring back its appeal, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378.