Restore Vs. Replace: Why SERVPRO Matters
When an unexpected disaster strikes, don't call a construction company, call SERVPRO. Don't waste valuable time and money if water, fire, smoke, storm, or mold damage affects your home or business. Our goal at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is to mitigate disasters and safely return you to your property as soon as possible. Actions taken during the first 24-48 hours of a disaster are crucial to the repair of your home or business. Construction companies allow more damage to set in after an incident occurs, as their goal is to replace damaged items at a future date. Here are some benefits of choosing SERVPRO to mitigate your incident instead:
- Prompt assistance: We're open 24/7 to repair property damage soon after it occurs
- Time and Money savings: because of our prompt assistance, not only do you wait less time to return to your property, damage has less time to set in and spread. This creates less of a need to undergo expensive replacements and reconstruction
- Range of expertise: SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape cod is expertly trained in mold remediation, water mitigation, storm damage repair, fire damage repair, smoke damage repair and pathogen-targeting disinfection. No matter the disaster, let SERVPRO be your one-stop shop.
From Mashpee to Provincetown, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is standing by 24/7 to mitigate your disaster. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378 and see if our wide array of expert services are right for you.
Water Damage Prevention
Coming home to a flooded house is one of a homeowner’s worst fears. Often times, when homeowners find themselves in this situation, they understandably panic and rush fix the situation, only to make it worse. If you find yourself in this situation, we at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod have tips to prevent water damage from destroying your home:
- Shut off the source of the leak
- Shut off circuit breakers for water-logged areas
- Mop up excessive water to the best of your ability
- Remove lamps/electronics from tables and wipe water off of wooden furniture
- Remove and dry wet cushions
- Lift furniture legs off of wet carpets with tin foil or wood blocks
- Move items vulnerable to water to a safer place
Also, be sure to follow this list of DO NOTS:
- DO NOT Enter rooms that put you at risk of electric shock
- DO NOT leave books, magazines and other print media on wet carpet as this causes staining
- DO NOT use a household vacuum to suck up water
- DO NOT use electronics in affected areas
- DO NOT use ceiling fans if your roof is suffering from water damage.
What you do until water mitigation help arrives is crucial to the future of your home. For your water damage, flood damage and disaster mitigation needs, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at (508) 778-7378. We're here 24/7 to make sure you don't fall victim to water damage.
Appliances: The Unexpected Fire Hazard
When thinking of home fire hazards, one might imagine an oven, a furnace, a fireplace, etc. But what about the dishwasher, refrigerator, or even your television? We here at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape have seen fire damage caused by many different unsuspecting electronics. Here a few tips on how to make sure your home appliances are fireproofed:
- Check your power outlets: make sure power outlets aren't drawing too much power. Don't plug several high-current appliances into the same outlet
- Keep your cords safe: make sure power cords aren't damaged, under furniture, under rugs or excessively tangled with other power cords
- Use factory recommended chargers and cables: Many third party phone cables and chargers are prone to overheating and even catching on fire. Check the power needs of your appliances and see if the charging cables you're using operate at the same voltage.
- Keep an eye on heat generating appliances: While its common knowledge to watch over items cooking in the kitchen and space heaters, be sure computers, game consoles and other appliances that give off heat have enough room to properly cool down.
- Make sure your appliances are properly maintained and up to date
Even when properly practicing fire safety, be sure to have an exit plan in case of a house fire. Create a designated meeting area for leaving the building and at least two points of exit for every room. If you fall victim to fire damage, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378, we're here to help.
Call SERVPRO When Spring Cleaning Becomes Something More
With warmer weather finally upon us, many cape codders are taking this opportunity to start their spring cleaning. However, homeowners may often find larger household issues when clearing clutter. Rodent infestations, mold, puffback soot and other household headaches may just be looming around the corner. If spring cleaning becomes a home restoration nightmare, trying to tackle the situation alone may just make it worse. Here’s some examples of how some common household issues should be left to the professionals:
- Puffbacks: puffback-related soot damage will deteriorate objects and structure in your home, sometimes past the point of restoration. Plates and fine China will discolor, paint can be left permanently stained and electronic appliances can be irreversibly damaged. If not tested correctly by a professional, parts of your home or business that you wouldn’t expect to be damaged could deteriorate before your eyes. Furthermore, through use of patented cleaners and chemical sponges, SERVPRO removes puff back damage thoroughly and permanently.
- Rodent Infestations: SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is trained to safely remove animal related biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, we can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe homes and offices. Also, anytime animals stow away in your home, it’s more than likely that your insulation needs to be replaced. Trust SERVPRO to clean or replace your insulation fast, easily, affordably and efficiently.
- Mold: Remediation Makes Sure That Mold STAYS Gone: Removing mold stains will only get rid of its appearance for a brief amount of time. The mold spots will come back larger and more toxic than before. By calling a restoration company, you’ll be saving time and money that could’ve been wasted on a more severe mold problem down the line
Mold Management On Cape Cod
Mold thrives in damp environments, something which Cape Cod has a clear abundance of. Whether you're near the coast in Truro, a beach in Barnstable, or even mainland in Harwich, the potential for mold growth on the cape is astonishing. With higher than usual amounts of moisture potential, your home or business could be in danger of needing mold removal. We here at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod want you to know the warning signs of excessive mold and how we can help with your mold remediation needs.
You may have an ongoing moisture problem if you notice the following:
- Musty odors
- Higher than usual humidity
- Evidence of previous out of place moisture
- Visible Mold Spores
If you notice any of these signs in your home or building, you may need the aid of a professional cleanup & restoration crew. SERVPRO can inspect for the signs of excessive mold growth and water damage. Trust your local SERVPRO to deal with the special kind of mold and water damage the cape can inflict. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378 to set up a free estimate
Fire Extinguisher Safety: P.A.S.S. It On!
Do you follow safety guidelines and keep a fire extinguisher in your home? If so, are you certain you have the correct type to fight the fire? A fire extinguisher should be kept in your garage, kitchen, and on each floor of your home. Whether you already own one or are about to purchase one, learn about the different types of extinguishers for the application.
Below are the four basic types of extinguishers:
- Class A extinguishers put out fires in ordinary combustibles, such as wood and paper.
- Class B extinguishers should be used on fires involving flammable liquids, such as grease, gasoline, and oil.
- Class C extinguishers are suitable for electrically energized fires.
- Class D extinguishers should be used on flammable metals and are typically specific for the type of metal in question.
Most home fire safety experts recommend medium size, multipurpose fire extinguishers that are labeled as suitable for use on class A, class B, and class C fires.
You and other potential users in your household should thoroughly read the extinguisher’s instructions on a periodic basis. A professional fire equipment supplier should inspect each extinguisher annually.
Only use a fire extinguisher if these four conditions are true:
Many times you’re much better off to let professionals handle any fire. Only use an extinguisher when:
1) the fire is confined to a small area, and is not growing
2) the room is not filled with smoke
3) everyone else has exited the building
4) the fire department has been called.
Remember the P.A.S.S. word!
Most household fire extinguishers operate using the following P.A.S.S. technique:
- PULL: Pull the pin. This will also break the tamper seal.
- AIM: Aim low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or its horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE: Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- SWEEP: Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it appears to be out. Watch the area. If the fire re-ignites, repeat steps 2 - 4.
If you have the slightest doubt about your ability to fight a fire.... EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!
Important! Once the seal on a fire extinguisher has been broken, it must be serviced before the next use!
Wet Vs. Dry Smoke: Not all Home Fires are Created Equal
Ironically, one of the hardest parts of restoring a fire damaged property is dealing with water damage. When a fire is extinguished, it creates a thick, low temperature smoke known as wet smoke. Think of it like putting out a bonfire; when the fire’s at full blaze, it produces less smoke than a fire going through the smoldering phase of extinguishing. When a fire is still brightly burning dry materials, it creates what’s known as a dry smoke. Both dry and wet smoke damage come with their own unique set of challenges when it comes to restoration.
- Wet Smoke: As previously stated, the water damage that comes with a fire creates a new set of restoration challenges. Thick, wet smoke creates hard to remove detritus on virtually every surface of your property. This is caused by partially combusted particles clinging any area wet smoke has touched. This kind of smoke cannot be removed by an amateur. Wet smoke restoration ranges anywhere from cleaning with specialized chemicals and sandblasters to total reconstruction of the affected areas.
- Dry Smoke: Without the presence of moisture, fire with completely combust anything that comes into its path. While this means smoke residues can be more easily removed, it also means more of your property likely needs to be demolished and replaced. It’s always important to extinguish fires properly, completely and in a timely manner, even if it means more wet smoke residue. While a smaller scale instance of dry smoke damage is very easy to take care of, a large-scale instance of a dry fire is more than likely to spell complete disaster for your property.
No matter what kind of fire your home or business faces, be sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod after the flames have been put out. Call us anytime at 508-778-7378. We’re located owned and operated in Dennis, so we have the crucial knowledge and experience needed to restore your Cape Cod property. Together, we’ll work to make it, “Like it never even happened.”
Why Homeowners Should Leave Pest Cleanup to the Professionals
When homeowners discover pest infestations in their homes, their first instinct is usually to call an exterminator. This is definitely the right thing to do, but after the exterminator is gone, the job is far from over. Droppings, urine, damaged insulation, damaged infrastructure and many other unignorable issues are still left to be resolved. Another instinct homeowner have is to clean up and repair after all the pests are removed. However, for the sake of the property owner and the property itself, this is not likely to be the right thing to do. Rodent infestations are a very specific biohazard that must be treated as such.
So, what does SERVPRO do differently from homeowners and competitors? First, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is trained to safely remove animal related biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, we can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe homes and offices. Also, anytime animals stow away in your home, it’s more than likely that your insulation needs to be replaced. Trust SERVPRO to clean or replace your insulation fast, easily, affordably and efficiently. If you’re in need of a pest cleanup, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378 to set up your free estimate.
Leave Puffback Restoration to the Professionals
Ever notice black soot near your furnace? How about black residue on your walls, ceiling or surrounding heating vents? If so, the last thing you should do is grab a rag and household cleaner because this may be a telltale sign of a puffback. At SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod, we’re all for homeowners and business owners saving money wherever they can. However, skimping out on puffback restoration will cause permanent damage to walls, ceilings, floors, appliances and just about everything else inside your property. Soot from a furnace puffback most often spreads to every surface in the building, even if the soot isn’t visible to the naked eye. If not treated correctly, your property and your own personal health may be at stake.
So, you may be wondering, “How exactly does SERVPRO treat smoke and puffback damage?” First of all, we test most every surface in your home for smoke and soot particulates. Soot damage will deteriorate objects and structure in your home, sometimes past the point of restoration. Plates and fine China will discolor, paint can be left permanently stained and electronic appliances can be irreversibly damaged. If not tested correctly by a professional, parts of your home or business that you wouldn’t expect to be damaged could deteriorate before your eyes. Furthermore, through use of patented cleaners and chemical sponges, SERVPRO removes puff back damage thoroughly and permanently.
If your home or commercial property is in need of fire restoration or smoke damage removal, Call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378. Call us to set up a free estimate. We’ll create a plan of attack that’ll leave your property looking and feeling "Like it never even happened."
Dealing with a Burst Pipe in Your Cape Cod Home
One of the most stressful and common home disasters to strike during winter are frozen pipe burst. Every second a pipe is burst, the damage done to your home and belongings grows exponentially. We here at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod have discussed frozen pipe prevention on our blog before, but what about after a pipe has burst? Before you or someone you know panics, only to make this kind of situation worse, follow these three universal steps for aiding in the mitigation of this kind of disaster.
- Shut off the source of the water: It’s essential for all homeowners to know where their house’s main water valve is located. Knowing the location of all water valves not only prepares the homeowner for dealing with a burst pipe, but other water related disasters as well. For those living in apartments or other rented properties, be sure to contact your landlord immediately in order to shut off all appropriate valves. If the affected rooms have power outlets and electric appliances, cut off all power to the room to prevent the risk of electric shock.
- Make sure insurance covers your disaster: Take notes and inventory of where the water damage is, what it’s damaged and where it came from. Prepared with this information, call your homeowner’s insurance agent to see if the damage is covered and who they recommend calling to professionally mitigate the disaster. At SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod, we’re on alert 24/7 to mitigate water damage related disasters and will work with your insurance company to make dealing with the situation as easy as possible.
- Safely attempt to mitigate some of the water before help arrives: Use towels, wet/dry vacuums, buckets and mops to mitigate the water. Do NOT use a normal household vacuum to suck up water as it will destroy the appliance and put the user at high risk of electric shock. Also, if floors and carpets get dry to the touch, a professional mitigation company or repairman will still need to be called. Water leaks into drywall, floor padding, subfloor and many other areas only professionals can properly dry and repair.
A burst pipe can be an expensive and time-consuming fiasco. By following these 3 steps and calling SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod when disaster strikes, you can save time, money and the stress of further water damage. Call us any time at 508-778-7378 for 24/7 emergency restoration services. At SERVPRO, we’ll make it "Like it never even happened."